Recently I had to revist the 101 MicroStrategy Interview Question bank and I realized that there were a lot of repeated questions, not so useful question, etc. I scrubbed the questions and here is new improved set. Remember: these are with prospective of an Interviewer. If you have your won question bank and wish to publish, comment here. I’ll contact you. Full credit given. 😎
- What is fact constellation schema?
- What is star schema?
- What is snowflake schema?
- What is a surrogate key?
- Why do we use a staging area?
- Why do we need a DW?
- How much history should we have in a DW?
- What are the most important tables in a DW?
- Why Kimball? Why not Inmon? Or vice versa?
- Performance with a relational based query vs dimensional?
- What schema is used in your project? Why?
- What are conformed dimensions?
General Knowledge (Applies to all roles)
- What is metadata?
- What is two-tier connection?
- What is three-tier connection?
- What is difference between 2, 3 and 4 tier connections?
- How do you achieve schema object version control (similar to VSS)?
- What are different kinds of objects in MicroStrategy?
- What’s fact table?
- Where is Administrator’s password stored? Is it stored in encrypted?
- Why do we use dimensional modeling in DW? Why not Relational?
- What is a batch?
- Differences between ROLAP, MOLAP and HOLAP?
- What is ETL?
- What types of DW’s are most common?
- How many MSTR projects have you worked?
- What are the types of MSTR objects available?
- Explain the step-by-step technical approach after you get the Requirements from the Client.
- What’s a System call error? Have you seen Object variable error?
- Have you ever manually edited the metadata? why?
- Should you have DATE as ID attribute form?
- What is compound key?
- What is a fact and an attribute?
- What are Factless facts?
- What are Transformations? Is there any transformations implemented in your project?
- Explain Fact Structure(types, one by one)
- Explain Level Extension. How it is used in your project?
- Explain Fact Relation.
- Explain Fact Degradation.
- What is Compound Key Attribute? Give example from your project.
- Can you update a table in Warehouse using MicroStrategy?
- How will you resolve an issue when (by chance) an aggregate table at higher level has a higher LTS than an aggregate table at lower level?
- What happens if LTS is high for a higher level table?
- What are the criteria used by the MicroStrategy SQL Engine to build the join tree of a report’s SQL?
- Can MicroStrategy logical primary keys and the true (warehouse) primary keys differ?
- Oracle has a pseudo column named ROWID which is not “directly” exposed to front-end? Can this table be used in MicroStrategy? Why one would do that?
- Can you create Schema objects in 2 tier connection? Is it recommended?
- What is the difference between RW document and HTML document?
- What’s smart metric?
- What is a bridge/relationship table?
- How will you resolve double counting in M-M relationship between two attributes?
- What is a CUBE?
- What are differences between View Filter and Report Filter?
- What are the different types of Filters available? Explain each with example.
- What is derived metrics? Explain the example from your project.
- What are Prompted Filters or cascaded prompts?
- How will you customize the display for Null Values?
- Can you enable/disable the thresholds based on some condition/prompt answers?
- In a Document, there are 5 reports and 5 out of them need to have a prompt so that 10 user can select first day of the week for which user want to execute the report. How many prompts would be required to be made?
- What’s XML Cache?
- What’s a Bulk export report?
- Can you have a prompt in free form SQL report?
- What will happen when the network connection between the webserver and one of the clustered I-server is lost? Will report run smoothly?
- Can you prioritize report execution?
- What is ScanMD?
- What is MD Doctor?
- What is clustering?
- How will you reset password of all users?
- What are different modes you can run I-Server?
- How can you make sure that I-Server would be running even if the application mode has crashed and how to get back the instance?
- What are various authentication modes?
- How can you configure WH authentication?
- Does DLS affect MicroStrategy? What you need to do incorporate it?
- What is Object Manager?
- What will you do when I-Server crashes?
- What will you do if your Administrator has forgotten password or the account is locked?
- How can you monitor the error received while running I-Server and report?
- Attribute role, Security role, Security filter and Access control?
- How to create an event based schedule?
- Can MicroStrategy be installed on Solaris or UNIX w/o Root access? Can such a server be (re)started?
- If you have a Quad core CPU and MSTR license to use CPUs, can you set to use two particular cores dedicatedly for I-Server (As other core may have been programmed for some other dedicated work)
- Drawbacks on 4GT switch?
- Can you cap the number of reports run at a time by users? What happens when this limit is breached?
- Can you some how disable Web users to use only one I-Server?
Looking for questions.
- Can you make a floating window in MicroStrategy Web?
- How to have two images in MicroStrategy login page?
- Can you apply themes to MicroStrategy Web? How to create a one?
- After a bulk export report is run, NCS puts it on an ftp location? Can this location be directly made available in MSTR web?
Looking for questions.